4 interest-free payments of $22.50 at checkout.
In this beginner course, learn to set up your own DIY Shroom grow at home! With insight from experienced cultivators, you can use this methodology for a variety of mushrooms. This expert-curated course walks you through the basics of cultivation, from preparing your grow setup to harvesting your mushroom species. Follow along with these easy-to-digest tutorial videos, written companions, and support from mycology experts, including Dr. K Mandrake author of The Psilocybin Mushroom Bible. In this course, we’ll cover vocabulary, spores & supplies, inoculation, building your grow environment, hydration, fruiting, and harvesting! Let’s get started.
5000+ Students Taught
It's time to take your health into your own hands and be supported along the way.
Does this sound familiar?
- You’ve read about the power of medicinal mushrooms, but you don’t know how to access them
- You want to take control of your own supply of food and medicine
- You’re seeking healing—physical, mental, emotional, and/or spiritual
- You’re fascinated by the magical world of mycelium and love DIY projects
- You’ve searched the internet for direction on how to grow shrooms, but are overwhelmed by the amount of information out there
We've been there before.
Imagine if you could...
- Ditch the hours of searching Youtube, online forums, and random articles
- Get clear and concise direction on how to cultivate mushrooms right at home
- Be supported by expert mycologists throughout each step of the grow process
- Connect with a global network of fungi enthusiasts and psychonauts
- Grow as many shrooms as you can imagine to share with your family and friends
We're here to help.
What You Get
You’ll get a vocab lesson on all of the terms you’ll need to know to be fluent in growing your own fungi.
- Get an introduction to the anatomy of a mushroom
- Learn the basic cultivation terminology we’ll use throughout the course
- Plus, get an in-depth mycology glossary
In this episode, we outline the supplies you’ll need for inoculation and subsequent steps of the grow process.
- Learn the difference between spore syringes and sport prints
- Access a supply list with links to our favorite suppliers
- Find out our favorite vendors for purchasing spores
Here you’ll learn how to “plant” your spores, or inoculate your substrate—the first step in the mushroom cultivation process.
- Set up a sterile environment
- Begin the grow process by inoculating your substrate
- Practice patience as your mycelium colonizes
During this episode we show you how to make your bulk substrate for your fruiting chamber (a.k.a. terrarium or monotub).
- Get the DB-approved bulk substrate recipe
- Mix and pasteurize your bulk substrate
- Prepare your fruiting chamber
In this episode, we show you how to finish setting up your fruiting chamber by transferring your colonized mycelium from the instant rice bags into the terrarium.
- Transfer your colonized mycelium
- Learn the difference between bruising and contamination
- Craft the ideal grow environment
- Get best practices for misting and fanning
You’ll learn what to expect when your mushrooms begin to fruit. We also describe some common possible contaminants to look out for.
- Learn about pinning
- Monitor your first flush
- Familiarize yourself with common types of mold
In the final episode, we harvest our mushrooms and dry them.
- Learn when and how to pick your shrooms
- Understand why and how to dry your shrooms
- Find the best way to store shrooms long-term
- Learn how to “dunk” your mycelium for another “flush”
Meet The Experts
Why This Course?
Unlike with online forums like Reddit, with our course, you get access to leading mycology teachers who will support you every step of the way.
- Three expert mycologists available online Tuesday-Friday and Sunday
- Share pictures of your grow
- Get your questions answered
From prep to harvest, the whole process takes about nine weeks.
- Most of this time is spent waiting—patience is key!
- Only a couple of fuller days needed for inoculation and transferring the substrate
- Once they’ve begun growing, you’ll check to mist and fan periodically
Once you have the setup, you can use it forever, to grow an infinite supply of mushrooms for your friends and family. All the supplies cost less than $100.
- You’ll get about 30 to 60 dried grams of mushrooms from a spore syringe, which costs about $10
- Go as fancy or as basic with your setup as you’d like
- All supplies can be found online and in local hardware/garden stores
You don’t need extra space—in fact, a space the size of a litter box should be enough room.
- You’ll need a small, dark space for inoculation
- For colonization, you’ll need a space with indirect light
- 75-82F is ideal, but you can always get creative to regulate temperature
You’ll get access to an invite-only, private DoubleBlind community to bond with and receive support from your fellow growers.
- The DoubleBlind community is very global—connect with growers around the world
- Get grow tips and recommendations
- Learn about other people’s experiences and share your own
What Our Students Are Saying
Frequently Asked Questions
Once you buy the course, all of the materials can be accessed online with a username and log-in through our website.
You can start it anytime and move along at your own pace.
Yes, you can watch the episodes as many times as you’d like.
Once you subscribe, you will have access to a community of experts who will be available to personally answer your questions.
Once you sign up for the course, we’ll email you a list of supplies. Most of the items you can purchase in your local gardening store. We also provide a website for spores.
Yes, we’ve had people from all over the world take the course! Our mushroom community is very global.
It’s important to us that people have access to the resources they need to heal. We have limited scholarship opportunities. Email us at: [email protected]
You'll Also Learn Best Practices For:
Check Out Our Community Grows
Kathy, DB 101 Student
Glory Hallelujah I saw that DoubleBlind was offering a class on how to grow mushrooms!
“The entire journey from supplies to harvest was really magical for me. The 9 week class provided step by step instructions by using a written guide and videos which were excellent. I know this sounds like this is too good to be true but it was true and it was amazing how much effort went into this class and how much attention we received. We had a team of highly qualified mycologists.”
Sara, DB 101 Student
Incredible experience and I would highly recommend it. Thank you DoubleBlind!
“I’ve been interested in plant medicines for a while so I thought it would be a cool hands on way for me to explore those topics. I really enjoyed the course, it was super easy to follow. There were helpful experts who were there to answer all my questions”
Fred, DB 101 Student
Thanks to our amazing teachers and our incredible community now I can cultivate my own mushrooms.
“I was already curious about mycology, but DoubleBlind’s How to Grow Mushrooms course came right on time in quarantine. I loved that I could get access to expert knowledge throughout the grow process.”
From Our Founders
“It’s been so humbling and beautiful to watch our mushroom community grow to thousands of people from around the world, who are supporting each other on their mushroom growing journeys. Some of our students have even gone onto become TAs for the other students, and many have graduated saying the course changed their lives and the relationship they have with their medicine and food. This course is really just a part of a movement to take our health back into our own hands, and we’re grateful to be a part of it at DoubleBlind.”
— Shelby Hartman & Madison Margolin